Living in a negative world can sometimes take its toll, but you do not have to be at the mercy of a negative environment. There are practical ways to have a more positive state of mind. Like gravity pulling you down to earth, it is easy to be pulled down into a sour mood by worries and difficult situations. Thankfully, being positive does not depend on circumstances; rather, it is almost entirely contingent on your attitude. Consider the following strategies for staying positive, confident, and strong.
- Review the truth – think about whatever is true, right, and virtuous
- Focus on what you have, not what you don’t have
- Be kind without trying to please everyone
- Learn to live with mistakes rather than endlessly trying to never make them
- Focus on what recently went right
- Feast on inspiring stories and motivational programs that build you up
- Create a positive view of other people
- Slow your pace for a while
- Focus on your character traits, not your possessions or appearance
- Help the less fortunate, not just think of them
- Give something away
- Do something nice for someone and don’t tell anyone about it
- Review the distant past for blessings, but not for mistakes
- Develop a simple saying that you dwell on, such as “I am making progress”
- Repeat positive affirmations to yourself about yourself
- Express your gratitude frequently
Attitude Determines Success
Having a positive, cooperative, can-do attitude makes an enormous difference, especially in mental health recovery. Negative, defeated attitudes can sabotage your progress and affect others around you. Changing your outlook and mindset is foundational to solid mental health. You will get the life you desire as you alter your attitude, change your direction, and continue your efforts toward emotional health and recovery.
Recovery is a Journey. Enjoy the Ride!